Saturday 17 November 2012

The Art Of Fashion Collage Making

Everyone has a reason for starting a blog. Mine was to a way express my love, knowledge and understanding of fashion and aesthetics through my words and images. And as much as I love writing about it, I enjoy creating a visual pieces to express it.
Since I started blogging, collages have been my partner in crime. While style bloggers have their own personal closet to shop from and create stunning ensembles I love borrowing pieces from my virtual wardrobes.

My love for collages goes back to my childhood days. As a kid I used to cut out glossy images from fashion magazine and create my own interpretation of a fashion magazine. 
This childhood hobby of mine worked in my favour all through fashion school, as we had to create mood boards/ inspiration boards at the drop of a hat.
For those who do not know what a (fashion) collage is- it is an artistic composition made by combining different elements – images, swatches, text, and embellishments.

Since I started blogging lots of people have asked me loads of collage related question. From, 
why do I love them so much to how to make them and the different kinds of collages one can create?
The truth is, there is no one-way of making or one type of collage, be it hand made or virtually created.
Personally, I break down my collages into four groups and follow simple guidelines so that the end result is aesthetically appealing.


Different types of fashion collages

1. Product Display


2. Styling



3. Photomontage


4. Fashion Art/Editorial

The idea is to make the collage creative and not chaotic. It should visually appeal to people at the same time send the message you are trying to convey through it.

Fashion collage making rules I live by:
Balance It Out: A lot of people have great ideas that eventually become chaotic collages. Reason being they forget basic proportions while creating a collage. I have seen collages after collages in which the size of earrings, dress, shoes and background text is the same. Not only is it confusing but also very unwelcoming to the eye.
To make the collage visually appealing as well as believable the objects should be scaled to size in proper rations.

Keep It Real:
If the purpose of the collage is to virtually express your styling then make sure you create a look that can be worn in real life. I have seen collages in which a look is so horrendous it can put Lady Gaga to shame. Just because it is virtual does not mean the basic rules of good styling don’t apply. Keep this in mind when creating a styling collage. Ask yourself will I/someone I know be able to wear this in real life? If you want to inspire you readers with your styling make sure the look created in the collage is something they would want to wear.


Structure and Harmony:
The most important thing that goes a long way in making or breaking a collage is structure and harmony. Small things like alignment, spacing, propionate scaling and neat overlapping add towards making your collage a visual masterpiece. 

Also, thematic harmony of a certain kind is needed. Just like before baking a cake you know what type of cake you want to bake, similarly before making a collage one needs to know what type of collage you want to create. The theme can be specific one (festival, particular trend) or can be generic (seasons, colours). A theme acts as a building block from where you can take the piece forward.
Finally, refrain from over doing it. It’s very easy to keep on adding things. This only makes the collage look like a child’s craft project. A good collage is one that has all the elements it needs and not all the elements you can stuff in it. The purpose of the collage is to express yourself through a visual medium. If people don’t know what the basic theme of the collage is or what you are trying to say via it then the purpose is defeated.

A good collage is one that does all the talking without you saying anything.

There are lots of online sites as well as softwares for collage making but I make mine in Polyvore, Photoshop and Picasa.

Do you like to make collages? And what is your collage making mantra? Share your views with me in the comment section.


Till then, tra-la,
 Amena!!
 Connect With Fashionopolis on FacebookTwitterPinterest, Bloglovin' & Subscribe
Instagram: 
@fashionopolis.in
email me- 
a.fashionopolis@gmail.com

13 comments:

  1. Great post! VEry inspirational!

    fashionqueen294.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your collages! <3
    Xx
    Rhea
    http://fuss.co.in

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know (and you do too) I have have always complimented you on your collages!
    So glad you did this post!!
    You are my collage Guru!

    Lots of love!
    Roxanne
    http://head2heels-roxanne.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading this post, your collages are a visual treat. .keep inspiring!!
    xx
    Kalyani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank your for your inspiration and help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The art of a good collage has always eluded me so thank you for the tips!

    www.arashmazinani.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your IFB feature! I love making collages too; Great post and lovely tips! www.moiminnie.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So excited to read about your tutorial on fashion collages. I really need to start making some for my blog, I'm so glad I found this!

    www.allthingskate.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the collages that you make Ameena! I want to myself make these sometimes, but i just wanted to know if not giving credit to all the places where the pictures have been taken from will account to copy write infringement?
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. U r indeed excellent at making collages
    www.stylehighstreet.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it <3 <3
    I am so not good in making collages.

    love
    http://www.meghasarin.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. awesome post! i love this! gifts for women and branded clothes visit at:-
    http://www.majorbrands.in/

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is very elegant dress, i love it here you can see more varieties in dresses. See More

    ReplyDelete